The Shriner’s Club in Fort McMurray recently presented Jim Weller, Vice President, YMCA of Northern Alberta | Wood Buffalo Region, with a cheque for $2,500, as a donation to the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign.
The motto of the Fort McMurray Shine Club is “All for the Kids.” We are thrilled they chose us when making their donation. Thank you Fort McMurray Shrine Club!
What is the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign and how can you help?
The YMCA Strong Kids Campaign is the annual campaign to raise funds and awareness of these community needs. The campaign funds are used to assist people in gaining access to YMCA programs and services to help improve and enhance their lives. YMCA Financial Assistance (formerly the Opportunity Fund) is a program where the YMCA gives back to help fellow members become healthier, stronger and happier.
The goal is to raise enough money each year so that no one is turned away for inability to pay. YMCAs in Northern Alberta assist approximately 25% of the members with programs such as accommodation in transitional housing, emergency childcare, swimming lessons, summer day camps and programs for youth at risk.
- Any individual who is unable to pay the full membership or program fee in Northern Alberta
- Our international YMCA partners in Colombia and Ukraine
- All community and housing programs participants
- Individuals and families needing emergency and short-term accommodations
- Parents needing emergency child care