YMCA of Northern Alberta is proud to provide Housing First in Wood Buffalo. Housing First is founded in the principle that every person has the right to a safe, secure home. The focus is on ending homelessness by providing permanent housing and follow-up support.
Individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness are housed and given appropriate supports to address barriers, establish relationships, access resources and improve skills to maintain their housing. Support is provided in an intensive case management setting where participant support is based on needs, personalities and motivations.
Requirements for Access to the Housing First Program
- Chronically homeless (3 episodes of homelessness in one calendar year)
- Must score high enough on the SPDAT (Service Prioritization Decision Assistance Tool)
- Must have an income (Income Support, AISH, Part- Time, Full-Time)
- Must agree to 3rd party rent payment
- Must agree to receive follow up supports in their home and community
- Must agree to be a respectful and considerate neighbour
Housing: The support team assists participants in selecting housing of their choice. Responsibilities of the Housing Team include:
- Helping participants search for and identify appropriate housing
- Establishing relationships with landlords, including mediating during times of conflict
- Applying for and managing housing allowances
- Assisting with setting up apartment (furniture, household items, groceries)
Follow Up Support: The support team assists participants in accessing external resources and supports to promote community integration, improve quality of life and foster independent living. Each participant will develop a personal network of support to address skills and resource in areas including:
- Life, housing and tenancy skills
- Debt reduction: budgets, financial aid, finding credit counselling
- Mental health: finding counselling
- Addiction services: clinical support, rehab, harm reduction
- Medical: doctor, dental, vision and other medical access
- Legal support
- Income support and disability
The YMCA of Northern Alberta provides Housing First services in our Wood Buffalo Region. The Housing First ICM Program , embraces the principle of Housing First—that every person has the right to a safe, secure home. The focus is on ending homelessness by providing permanent housing and follow-up support. Individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness are housed first and then...