As we update our website, if you notice any error please copy and paste the link from your browser and email us
. Thank you for supporting our charity!
Alternative Suspension is an out-of-school intervention, which establishes bonds of trust and creates a support network for students to assist in addressing suspension and/or temporary expulsion while supporting a consistent and strong academic focus.
The goal is to successfully reintegrate suspended and/or temporary expelled students back into the classroom, as well as to address other difficulties that may place youth at risk.
Alternative Suspension promotes personal development and independence through educational activities and appropriate interventions, as are required.
- Student referrals to the program to be administered by school authorities.
- Individual assessment of participating youth.
- Personalized profile of participating youth drafted by youth worker.
- Intervention sessions lasting an average of 5 days (minimum of 3 days, maximum of 15 days).
- Mornings entailing focus on academic achievement and afternoon sessions on thematic workshops aimed at reducing identified risk factors.
- Recreational activities.
- Reintegration of student back into the school/community and follow up to determines the impact of the Alternative Suspension program.
- Regular communication with parents.
- Self-awareness of problematic behaviour.
- Develop self-esteem and respect.
- Improve academic performance and motivation.
- Expand network of social support.
- Decrease participants associations with problematic peers.
- Decrease aggressive, impulsive, disruptive and antisocial behaviour.
- Encourage academic aspirations and motivations.
- Decrease in-school suspension by reducing tardiness, absenteeism, drug and alcohol usage and violence towards others.
- Increase school achievement.
Alternative Suspension is offered in the Edmonton Capital Region at:
YTP offers youth a safe, supportive, non-judgmental community to learn about available community services, to meet new friends and participate in fun activities, find a place to stay when needed,...
The YMCA’s Youth Transitions Program (YTP) is a free service focused on providing support to youth aged 13 – 19. Our team of Youth Advisors meet with youth from all walks of life to help...