Registration is NOW Open at All Fort McMurray Centres!
There's no job more important in the world than being a parent. But when it's not your only job, our YMCA Child Care programs are here for your family.
We know childhood is a special time when the seeds of future success are planted. Our YMCA Child Care programs are based on curriculum that encourages the physical, mental and social development of your child.
As Canada’s largest child care provider, the health and well-being of your child is at the core of everything we do. At the Y, you'll find a group of caring and dedicated staff who make every day a special day for your child.
We provide child care from 12 months to 12 years of age, depending on the centre you choose. Each centre places special emphasis on the age group it cares for:
Infant/Toddler Care (12 – 35 months)
Staff members are aware of developmental stages that go along with early years to guide children’s growth.
Preschool Care (3 – 6 years)
Builds on the natural desire to learn new things, become more self-reliant and learn to get along with others.
Provides care for children who attend a part-time Kindergarten program.
School Age Care (6 – 12 years)
Time gaps before and after school can be empty and lonely for kids, or they can be filled constructively and creatively.
Benefits for your Child
YMCA Child Care offers an array of benefits for your child:
- Daily communication and feedback between parents and staff (written daily reports in daycare)
- Free YMCA Child Membership allowing access to swimming lessons and other YMCA drop-in programs
- Nutritious (and allergen aware) morning and afternoon snacks
- School-age care provided during non-school days and holidays so parents are able to continue working
- Special events and field trips
- Wide range of physical activities offered to promote healthy development
- Connections to other families at Family Events held throughout the year to celebrate special occasions
- Monthly newsletter to keep you up-to-date on the events happening each month
YMCA Mission Statement
The YMCA of Northern Alberta creates life enhancing opportunities for the growth and development of all people in spirit, mind and body.
YMCA Child Care Objectives
- to provide a warm caring environment which will develop your child’s potential creative, intellectual, emotional, social and physical skills
- to provide a safe environment that is a natural progression from home to school
- to ensure that your child is cared for and is supervised at all times
- to hire educators that are experienced and well trained to provide the best care and enrichment for your child
- to provide a communication system that ensures parent to educators contact throughout the program year
- to set fees that allow the Centre to operate at a full cost recovery basis
YMCA Child Care Values
- YMCA Child Care is available to everyone regardless of race, sex, religion or economic circumstances
- Parents have the right to pursue work or education with peace of mind, and children have the right to a secure, safe and developmentally appropriate program.
- YMCA Child Care families can access additional programs and services that the YMCA provides to support them
- Parent participation is important to YMCA Child Care
YMCA Quality Statement
Parent evaluations, current research, and over 20 years of experience in delivering child care programs have helped us to define our Quality checklist:
- Children are happy and involved
- Educators have a caring attitude
- Centre, equipment and toys are accessible, clean & safe
FREE Summer Camps!
We know this will not be a typical summer as families settle back into life in Fort McMurray. We want to help ease the burdon, with FREE Summer Camps.
Youth & Teen Summer Membership
With school out, keep you and your bank account in shape this summer with our flexible 1-4 month option - at our continuous rate! We are charity, and no one is turned away for the inability to pay.
Plan Your Legacy
The YMCA recognizes and honours those who have included the YMCA in their estate plans. Formally known as the 'Heritage Club', members plan their gifts to create endowment funds at either The Edmonton YMCA Foundation or the Edmonton Community Foundation.