- Don Wheaton Family YMCA, Edmonton, AB
- Type of Position:
- Volunteer - 4 meets per season
- Placement Date:
Reference Number: SMV2016
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is seeking individuals who enjoy water and contributing to a fun aquatics environment. Volunteers will assist the Swim Meet Manager in organizing friendly inter-club competition(s). Join the YMCA as a Volunteer and help our Swim clubs experience an introduction to competitive swimming.
- Starter (1 needed) Ensures that all Timers are in the right place and ready to go prior to the start of a race by raising their left arm and waiting for Timers to notify them of any issues. When all Timers are ready for the race to start, the Starter will signal this to all the Athletes with one moderate extended whistle blast. Once the Athletes are ready to commence the race, it will be started by saying “Swimmers take your marks, set…” followed by the starting signal which is one short whistle blast.
- Timers (8 needed) Following the Starter’s leadership, they are responsible for the acquisition of Athlete times with manual stop watches and record the times on the Time Cards. Timers will also help ensure that Athletes are in the correct heat and lane and are ready to go.
- Marshals (1-2 needed) Key distributors of Time Cards to the Athletes by assisting in them finding their correct heats and lanes and ensuring that the order does not get altered through the Marshaling Area.
- Disqualification Judges (1-2 needed) Stroke and Turn Judges are responsible for the recognition and enforcing of rules during an event as well as the filling out and distribution of Disqualification Slips to the Coaches.
- Runner (1 needed) Responsible for collecting completed Time Cards from the Timers and bringing them to the Results Programmer.
- Results Programmer (1 needed) Responsible for the compiling and data entry of all Time Card results and the creation of the official results to be relayed to the Ribbon Programmer.
- Ribbon Organizer (1 needed) Responsible for labelling and organizing ribbons based on official results from Results Programmer. The Ribbon Organizer is responsible for organizing the ribbons in time for the Ribbon Ceremony.
- Minimum 12 years of age
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Child Welfare & Police Security Clearance (will provide)
- NCCP Coaching certification an asset
- Previous swim meet experience an asset
- Basic knowledge of swimming or competitive swimming
- Good rapport with children
- Ability to take direction
- Needed for 4 meets/season
- 2016-2017 meets are on Fridays from 4:30pm-8:00pm at the Don Wheaton Family YMCA on December 2, 2016, February 3, 2017, March 3, 2017 and April 21, 2017.
If this position interests you, please visit the centre to fill out paperwork.