For the latest update on the YMCA of Northern Alberta’s response to COVID-19, please, click here
. Because of the high volume of requests, we are unable to respond to phone inquiries at this time
Alternative Suspension is out-of-school intervention which establishes bonds of trust and creates a support network for students to assist in addressing suspension and/or temporary expulsion while supporting a consistent and strong academic focus.
The goal is to successfully reintegrate suspended and/or temporary expelled students back into the classroom, as well as to address other difficulties that may place youth at risk.
- Student referrals to the program to be administered by school.
- Individual assessment of participating youth.
- Personalized profile of participating youth drafted by youth worker.
- Intervention sessions lasting an average of 5 days (minimum of 3 days, maximum of 15 days).
- Mornings entailing focus on academic achievement and afternoon sessions on thematic workshops aimed at reducing identified risk factors.
- Recreational activities.
- Reintegration of student back into the school/community and follow up to determines the impact of the Alternative Suspension program.
- Regular communication with parents.
- Self-awareness of problematic behaviour.
- Develop self-esteem and respect.
- Expand network of social support.
- Decrease participants associations with problematic peers.
- Decrease aggressive, impulsive, disruptive and antisocial behaviour.
- Encourage academic aspirations and motivations.
- Increase school achievement and graduation rate.
Alternative Suspension is offered in the Edmonton Capital Region at: