YMCA Youth Exchanges Canada (YEC) program provides groups of youth 12 to 17 years of age with the opportunity to explore Canada while learning leadership, communication, and teamwork skills, all while developing a strong sense of community. Youth work together on community projects, and have the opportunity to make new friends while discovering the history, geography and diversity of Canada.
The experience of a lifetime! The Youth Exchanges Canada program is designed for groups of 10 to 30 participants who are paired with same-age groups from another province or territory, and they travel to each other’s communities, staying for at least 5 days.
2018 YMCA Youth Exchange: Edmonton, AB
Youth participants from the Leaders in Training program in Edmonton host the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka’s Youth Leadership Program from Innisfil, Ontario in part of the YMCA Youth Exchanges Program.
CONNECTING COMMUNITIES THROUGH EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING.
We match school or community groups, from different parts of Canada. Each group visits the other for a one-week educational exchange, which can take place at any time during the year. Preparation, travel and hosting activities provide an excellent opportunity for exchange participants to develop interpersonal and group collaboration skills while exploring their own community as well as another.
The Government of Canada through the YMCA Youth Exchanges Canada Program pays the transportation costs for all eligible participants and organizers. The YMCA facilitates the exchanges through local support networks.
OUR OBJECTIVES ARE TO:
- Contribute to improved knowledge and understanding of Canada among Canadian youth, enabling them to learn firsthand about the history, geography, economy, institutions, cultures, communities, languages and other facets of our country.
- Help young Canadians connect to one another and create links throughout the country and among groups, thereby helping to strengthen the fabric of Canadian society.
- Develop Canadian identity and attachment to Canada among youth by enhancing appreciation of both the diversity and the shared aspects of the Canadian experience.
- Contribute to the development of leadership and teamwork skills in young Canadians.
- Foster a stronger sense of community by providing opportunities for youth to become actively engaged in their own and other communities in Canada.
The YMCA Youth Exchanges Canada Program is open to groups of young people who belong to a recognized community organization or school. To participate in the program, you must:
- Be part of a group of 10 to 30 youth.
- Be between the ages of 12 and 17, and have not previously participated in the program.
- Be prepared to live away from home for at least five days (not including travel time).
- Participate in activities before, during, and after the exchange.
- Organize fundraising events to help cover the cost of hosting activities and local transportation.
- Agree to pay a group participation fee ($40 per person).
TO FIND OUT MORE about the YMCA Youth Exchanges Canada program:
VISIT US at www.ymcaexchanges.org
View our brochures: English or Francais
or Apply online at https://applyyec.org
For more info contact :
Youth Exchanges Program Coordinator
YMCA Youth Exchanges Canada
YMCA Welcome Village
9835 103A Avenue
Phone: 780 429-5734