Family Ties is a voluntary, early intervention program provides support to families with children 6-17 years old to strengthen family functioning. Parents are supported to create a nurturing and safe family environment, build resiliency within themselves and their children, build new social connections, and learn about positive parenting and child development.
Staff may meet with families in their homes, in a community setting or in the YMCA offices. There is additional contact and support by phone and email, as necessary.
Parents set goals with their Family Worker, and over time the parent is supported to review, assess and update these goals. Parents have the opportunity to take approved parenting courses and to learn through peer-to-peer interactions with other parents who are part of the Program.
What Family Ties Provides
- Supportive counselling and goal setting
- Home Visitation
- Parent Education
- Family interactive programming and activities
- Personal and family advocacy
- Information and referrals to additional resources
How to access Family Ties
- Contact Family Ties to speak with a Family Support Worker about the program
- Complete with the Family Support Worker a family assessment questionnaire to help identify family strengths and areas in which families need support
- Once intake is completed, families can remain in the program for 1 to 3 years pending their needs and participation
For more information contact the Grande Prairie Family Ties Supervisor at (780) 357-7444.
Housing Support - Grande Prairie
The YMCA offers a variety of programs aimed at strengthening the foundations of community, from outreach programs to housing support services. For more information, check out our community programs and housing initiatives guide.
Bridging the Gap - BTG
Bridging the Gap (BTG) is a 20-week paid employment readiness program for youth between the ages of 15-30 years. During the 16 weeks we covering career planning, job search skills, resumes and cover letters, life skills, computer training, financial literacy, stress management, job shadowing, personal development, WHMIS and First Aid & CPR certifications. In addition, each participant will receive a 3 month YMCA membership pass.
YMCA Giving - Donate Today!
YMCA Giving is the YMCA of Northern Alberta’s annual campaign to raise funds and awareness of community needs. Donations are used to assist people in gaining access to YMCA programs and services to help improve and enhance their lives. No one is turned away due to the inability to pay!