An update on $10 child care in Alberta
November 26, 2021
Your YMCA Child Care team is committed to keeping you up to date as the latest information regarding the $10 per day child care agreement emerges.
Just moments ago, the Government of Alberta announced that families with children who are not yet in kindergarten will see child care fees reduced by half, on average, by early 2022, with families most in need receiving additional subsidies. By 2026, families will be paying an average of $10 per day per child.
Beginning in January 2022, the government will reduce fees for more families by offering:
- Subsidies for families earning under $180,000. Parents can apply online starting in the new year.
- New operating grants for facility-based child-care programs starting in mid-January 2022. This will help providers lower fees for parents without shouldering extra costs.
For full details regarding today’s announcement, please visit alberta.ca/ChildCareDeal.
You can also find a letter from Rebecca Schulz, Alberta's Minister of Children's Services, to families and a frequently asked questions document below.
Families currently registered and participating in YMCA Child Care
For all our families that are already registered and participating in YMCA Child Care, no action is required at this time. However, please follow the Government of Alberta application requirements and eligibility closely to ensure you are receiving support as it becomes available.
Families not currently registered in YMCA Child Care
For families not currently registered in YMCA Child Care, we have several options available for you:
- Browse the list of YMCA Child Care locations, and if available, join the waitlist for your preferred location.
- If you are looking for quality child care today, browse the list of YMCA Child Care locations and register today if space is available.
- If a waitlist or registered space is not available at your preferred YMCA Child Care centre or you are not interested in either of these options at this time, don’t worry, we will keep you on our contact list and ensure you are kept fully informed as things evolve.
If you would like more information about YMCA Child Care and the opportunities that this Government investment will have on child care availability and services, including how you can register in YMCA Child Care, please complete the form below.
Thank you and have a wonderful weekend,
YMCA of Northern Alberta