An update on public health restrictions in Alberta
Updated: February 9, 2022
Published: February 8, 2022
Dear YMCA community,
This afternoon, the Government of Alberta announced changes to the COVID-19 related public health measures in our province. The changes include
- The removal of the Restrictions Exemption Program
- The requirement for all fitness participants to screen for COVID-19 symptoms prior to entry into facilities
Changes to your YMCA experience
At the YMCA, the health and safety of our community members, participants, staff and volunteers is what’s most important to us. Below, you can find information related to YMCA Child Care and YMCA Health and Wellness Centres.
Your YMCA Child Care team is in the process of reviewing the information provided by the Government of Alberta and the impact that today's announcement will have on child care services at the Y.
We will provide you with details via email on how this announcement affects YMCA Child Care services within the next day.
At YMCA Health and Wellness Centres in Red Deer, Fort McMurray and Edmonton, we will continue:
- Enforce physical distancing during physical activity
- Keep the plexiglass barriers where they currently exist
- Diligently sanitize surfaces around our Y
- Wear our masks as staff and volunteers to keep you and each other safe
- Require all members and guests to complete their health screening before entering our facility
Because the province has removed the Restrictions Exemption Program, it is no longer feasible for our staff to enforce mandatory proof of vaccination. However, masks are still mandatory for everyone over the age of 12 when not participating in aquatic activity.
We also encourage our members and participants to receive the vaccines and boosters that are available to them for their own health and safety, and for the protection of the vulnerable members of our community.
Thank you for your continued understanding, and for being a part of the YMCA community. If you have any questions regarding changes to YMCA COVID-19 protocols, please email email@example.com. We hope to see you at the Y soon.
Your YMCA Team