November 27: YMCA responds to new provincial restrictions
The Government of Alberta has announced new restrictions to help control the spread and risk of COVID-19 in our province. As always, the YMCA is dedicated to meeting or surpassing all government guidelines to ensure the health and safety of our community. Effective, Friday, November 27, the following facilities are closed until further notice, in accordance with the new provincial restrictions:
- Boyle Street Community Centre and YMCA Family Resource Centre in Edmonton
- Eagle Ridge Community Centre in Wood Buffalo
- Northside Community Centre in Red Deer
All rentals with bookings between November 27 and January 4, 2021, will be postponed or cancelled. If applicable, a YMCA representative will be in touch with you within the next 14 days to discuss your booking.
If applicable, a prorated credit will be provided on your YMCA account for fee-based registered programs and rentals.
Children’s registered programs will begin the week of January 11 and registration for these programs open on December 7. Adult sport and recreation programs begin January 4 and registration will open on December 7. Adult group fitness will begin on January 4 and registration will open on December 28.
While these facilities will be closed for the time being, we want to stay connected. Select fitness classes will be offered virtually throughout this period.
Thank you again for your understanding. If you have any questions about these temporary restrictions, please email us at ContactCentre@northernalberta.ymca.ca.
Information for Edmonton YMCA Members
The following programs and services will continue to be offered at the Don Wheaton Family YMCA, Jamie Platz Family YMCA, and William Lutsky Family YMCA:
- Individual exercise in the fitness centre
- Group Fitness – select classes will be offered virtually (YMCA members also all have access to free pre-recorded online content through YMCA at Home as well as our YouTube channel)
- Lane swim & aqua jogging (pre-booking required)
- Hot tub access on the pool deck, as well as PLUS changerooms
- Family swim – household cohorts only (pre-booking required)
- Open Gym – individual use only (pre-booking required)
- Judo - classes will continue to be instructed virtually
We will continue to operate at a limited capacity in compliance with AHS guidelines, which means you can safely access your YMCA at your convenience. Pre-booking to access our fitness centre will not be required at this time.
As a result of the latest provincial government’s announcement, effective Friday, November 27, 2020, the programs and services below will be postponed or cancelled. Programs and services will resume when restrictions are lifted.
|Individual exercise||✓||Does not require pre-booking|
|Group fitness||✓||Select classes will be offered virtually|
|Lane swim and aqua jogging||✓||Pre-booking required.|
|Family Swim||✓||Household cohorts only. Pre-booking required.|
|Swim lessons and swim clubs||✓||Children’s registered programs will resume the week of January 11. Registration for these programs open on December 7.|
|Open gym||✓||Individual use only. Pre-booking required.|
|Sport & recreation programs||✓||Registered programs will resume the week of January 11. Registration for these programs open on December 7.|
|After-school & educational programs||✓||Registered programs will resume the week of January 11. Registration for these programs open on December 7.|
|Certification courses (first-aid, bronze cross, etc.)||✓|
Important Information for YMCA Members
Currently active members:
- All memberships currently active will remain active and continued to be billed. No action is required. Thank you for continuing to be a Y member.
- If you would like to make updates to your on-hold arrangements, just sign-into our online member portal. If you require first-time access, please click here.
Members who have yet to reactivate their membership(s), or are scheduled to reactivate on December 1:
- If you are scheduled to reactivate your membership on December 1st and would like to continue your membership and billing, no action is required.
- If you have yet to reactivate your membership or place your membership on hold, and you're part of an open YMCA facility (Don Wheaton, Jamie Platz or William Lutsky Family YMCAs), we've extended our deadline to request a hold extension until November 29.
- Please note, if you have already completed this form, you do not need to complete it again. If you do not extend your hold by November 29, your membership will resume, with continuous billing starting December 1.
If you had registered for a program that has been cancelled due to government restrictions, a prorated credit will be provided on your YMCA account for fee-based registered programs. Member-only, $10 sport and recreation programs at the Jamie Platz Family YMCA and William Lutsky Family YMCA will not be credited.
Just a reminder, as of August 1, face coverings (non-medical masks) are mandatory inside all YMCA spaces. All members, program participants, staff and volunteers must wear a mask at all times while in common areas inside all YMCA facilities such as lobbies, hallways and change rooms. Members and visitors who enter a YMCA facility without a mask will be asked to wear one. A limited supply of face masks will be available at your YMCA health, fitness and aquatic centre should you forget one.
Thank you again for your understanding. If you have any questions about these temporary restrictions and cancellations, please email us at ContactCentre@northernalberta.ymca.ca.