Reopening: Red Deer
September 21, 2020
The Northside Community Centre is open for group fitness classes, child and youth programs andrentals!
Hours of Operation
The Northside Community Centre will only be open for registered program participants (such as group fitness participants) and rental groups. There will not be any public access at this time.
Keeping our community safe
While we are excited to provide a place for you to reach your goals and connect with your community again, the health and safety of our participants, employees and volunteers is our most important consideration. We will be meeting or exceeding all of the recommendations in the Government of Alberta's guidelines for recreation facilities and for day camps.
As guidelines change, we expect that our protocols in our centre will change over time. We promise to communicate changes your Y experience as they occur!
Here's how your YMCA experience will be different as we take precautions to keep you safe:
Temporary mandatory use of face coverings:
As of August 1, face coverings are mandatory inside all YMCA spaces in Red Deer, Edmonton, Grande Prairie and Wood Buffalo. Please note that anyone participating in physical activities are exempt. However, common areas in YMCA health, fitness and aquatics centres and community centres such as lobbies, hallways and change rooms do require face coverings to be worn.
Also, if relevant to you, YMCA summer day camp programs are exempt from this policy as these facilities and programs have separate guidelines and extensive health and safety protocols in place that are specific to those spaces.
A face covering includes a mask, balaclava, bandana, scarf, cloth or other similar items that cover the nose, mouth and chin without gapping. Exceptions include children under two years of age, persons with an underlying medical condition or disability which inhibits their ability to wear a face covering, or while participating in physical activity.
Thank you in for helping keep YMCA spaces healthy and safe for everyone to enjoy.
Health screening, limited capacity and pre-booking your time at the Northside Community Centre:
- All participants will complete a health screening questionnaire before attending.
- Participants are encouraged to pre-book their time at the Y. You will be able to book time up to seven days in advance for group fitness classes.
- You are welcome to drop in to see if space is available. If there's space in the class you would like to attend, you'll be welcome to join. If there is no space available, you will have to wait or book an alternate time.
- If you are already a YMCA member, please check your email for a message containing a link to request access your new online account. If you have not received an email, please click here to request access to your account.
Physical distancing, frequent disinfecting and equipment changes:
- We will increase our cleaning and disinfecting practices in all areas of our facility. Our staff will clean and disinfect each area after use.
- As always, we will provide disinfectant for members to use on their equipment before and after use, and we will be diligent in encouraging members to do this practice.
- To ensure safe physical distancing, group fitness classes will all be held in the gymnasium.
- We will be enforcing physical distancing of 2 metres for all activities and 3 metres for high-intensity activities at all times.
- We have removed equipment that is difficult to sanitize, such as yoga mats, bands and tubing.
Program and service changes:
- If you've been home for months with your kids, we salute you. Let the Y take some of the effort you've been putting in to making sure they stay active and healthy: registration is now open for kids' and youth programs at the Northside Community Centre! You can find a child and youth program during the day, after school or in the evening, so whether your kids are learning from home or attending school, we've got you covered! Register today by visiting northernalberta.ymca.ca/Online.
- Child and Youth Programs
- After school kids' club (ages 5–12)
- Basketball (ages 6–9 and 9–12)
- Science Explorers (ages 6–9 and 9–12)
- Sports of all Sorts – Net Sports (ages 6–9 and 9–12)
- Drop-in Youth Centre and open gym (ages 8–17)
- Group Fitness
- Child and Youth Programs
Locker rooms and amenities:
- We're asking participants to come changed and ready to work out, as showers and lockers will not be available. Washrooms will be available.
- Vending machines have been closed.
- Lobby furniture has been reduced to promote physical distancing.
- Shared magazines and facility brochures have been removed. Please visit our website for program information, as it will no longer be available in hard copy.
- Water fountains will not be available, so please bring a water bottle from home. Fountains with bottle fill stations will still be available.
While we know there will be changes to our centre, one thing that has not changed is the fact that our YMCA community is made up of kind and caring individuals who know how important it is for kids, families and individuals to have a safe place to connect, belong and thrive. We know that the need for these opportunities has increased through this period of isolation, while at the same time, the financial situation of many in our community has worsened. As we look to reopening the Northside Community Centre, we know that the need for financial assistance is eminent and the generosity of our community is needed and appreciated more than ever.
We can't wait to connect with you in person again. If you're subscribed to our emails, keep an eye out for future emails letting you know how to restart your membership and pre-book your time at the Y online! If you're not subscribed to our emails, this page will be updated as well.